A complete dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exam, your dentist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, cysts, bone loss, etc. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current filling, crown, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food, debris and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
These procedures may vary on each patient depending on the circumstance of one's tooth.
Copyright © 2015 All Smiles. All right reserved.